The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: Stock Fees? Date:  11/21/1998  3:46 PM
Author:  TMFPixy Number:  6707 of 101508

Greetings, Youngr, and welcome. You asked:

<<Is it possible to put my 2k for a roth into an account with a broker and then whe I buy a stck pay the transaction fee from somewhere else. The idea here is that I want my entire 2k to be in the roth and use other money to pay any fees. Sounds like a good idea, but it may not be possible. Anybody know?>>

Nope, it's not. If you pay the transaction fees with money outside the IRA, that payment will be considered a deposit to the IRA. As a deposit, it will count against your $2K annual limit. Thus, to avoid an over-contribution for the year you must pay all transaction fees with funds already in the IRA.


Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us