The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/like-many-other-people-who-are-nearing-or-10432564.aspx

Subject:  Re: Free Advice Date:  11/25/1998  2:56 PM
Author:  JeanDavid Number:  305 of 21378

Like many other people who are nearing or entering the retirement phase of my life, I have been subjected to the bloodbath taking place in the stock market, like all the rest of the small investors. I am at this moment, down 10.8% in portfolio value from my initial rollover of 401K funds into a brokerage IRA account in June.

I cannot tell if I am retired or not. I stopped getting a salary January 1, 1990. I rolled over my retirement program (except for a fixed benefit retirement pension) on August 13, 1996 (right after I read the MFIG). Since then, it has had its ups and downs. But some perspective is necessary. It hurt to be down $250,000 from about May to October this year, but I consoled myself with the fact that I was still up over $75,000 for the year. I.e., it is important not to get too short-term about these things. I guess I would not call what has happened so far this year to be a blood-bath. Unless you were on too much margin or something.

Another $0.02 for S.O.S.
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us