The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/now-as-to-the-advice-to-ignore-the-day-to-day-10432805.aspx

Subject:  Re: Free Advice Date:  11/25/1998  5:42 PM
Author:  hotfoot Number:  306 of 21078

Now as to the advice to ignore the day to day market swings, and to view investments only as a long term proposition, I can only observe that if I had the good sense to liquidate my investments on July 21, or soon, thereafter, I would certainly be in much better shape now

I would guess you picked the July 21 date AFTER the fact. How would you have known before the fact? Timing the market is a guessing game and can cost a lot of money in commissions trying to get in and out at the "best" time. It can also drive you up a wall analizing the situation.
In my opinion, your problem is related to the mutual fund criteria which preaches broad diversification for "safety." Small caps are volatile (but can produce rewards) and international investments led the way unfortunately, in the correction starting in July.
I would seriously think about holding until you achieve some recovery over time.
Without a doubt, I recommend you read the Motley Fool 13 Steps in The Motley Fool School and look over the info on Beat the Dow, Foolish Four, etc, for smarter investing.
I bought stock along these guide lines in late July and watched it drop 10 - 15% and then recover in the last two weeks. I will HOLD for long term.
H.
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us