The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Taxes on Roth for 1998 Date:  12/8/1998  3:22 AM
Author:  MScottDavis Number:  6871 of 127987

The following information, found in the article by Roy Lewis, "The New Roth IRA - Part II" appears to be wrong:

2. The special tax break (in 1998) is that the income that must be reported based on the IRA rollover MUST be spread evenly over a four-year period. Note that it is the INCOME that must be spread over the four tax year
period… and NOT the tax itself. Please also note that this spread of income MUST take place… it is NOT an election.

I plan to convert my IRA's to Roths in 1998 but want to apply all the resulting income to my 1998 income for tax purposes. The IRS and at least one fund company told me that I can do this. Any comment?

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us