The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Capital gain and Kiddie tax Date:  12/8/1998  11:26 AM
Author:  TMFTaxes Number:  6897 of 128293

[[My 12-year-old son has more than $4000 in capital gains this year. I understand that the first $700
will be tax-free.]]

Correct...and let's assume for this example that this is the ONLY income that you child has this year. If this unearned income is combined with earned, the computations get even more complicated.

[[ Then the next $700 (?) will be taxed at his rate of 15%,]]

That assumes that the capital gains are short term. If they are long term, then the child's rate will be 10% on thes long term gains...since your child does receive the benefit of the preferred tax on long term capital gains.

[[ and then the rest will be
taxed at the highest rate we are paying.]]

That is basically correct. Again, if the gains are short term, that will be at your "marginal" tax rate. If the gains are long term, the max tax could be 20% (or even less...depending upon your marginal tax rate).

[[ How do we take advantage of paying a lower rate when
some of the gain is of long-term ? Since I don't have all the forms in yet, I can only guess that our
tax rate will be right at the border line between 28% and the one level up. Therefore, I assume that
the "overflow" from my son's captial gains will be taxed at that rate.]]

Again, if his gains are short term, the "overflow" will be taxed at your marginal rate. If the gains are long term, and you are in the 28% bracket or higher, you son will still receive the benefit of the 20% capital gains rate.

[[ But wouldn't it be unfair if
those gains are of long-term nature when people can pay either 10% or 20% rate?]] is. Which is why they don't. My best suggestion to you would be to review IRS Form 8615 and the associated instructions (or even Form 8614 and instructions). You'll see how it really all should work...even if the funds are not yet current.

[[ Thanks to
anyone who can answer.]]

Hope this helps...
TMF Taxes

Want to learn more about taxes and investing? Then we have a deal for you!! The Motley Fool Investment Tax Guide is now available through Fool Mart. Be the first one on your block to own this masterpiece. There is still time available to do that tax planning (and tax saving) before the end of the year. So just click on this link ( to read more about this amazing collection of tax information. (Apologies for the shameless plug…but it is a pretty good book…if I do say so myself). In addition, if you would like to visit the Taxes FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) area, click on and you'll be right at the home page. Pay special attention to the "archives" section. Check it out. Finally, if you need to get to the IRS web site, click on to go directly there.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us