The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Ask The Headhunter

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/devlynn-initiative-is-great-and-being-a-team-10488252.aspx

Subject:  Re: I think I have a problem! Date:  12/30/1998  12:00 AM
Author:  Thunderchild Number:  4476 of 49711

Devlynn,
Initiative is great, and being a team player is great too but there is a difference between helping out in a crunch or (taking on an extra project)and taking on long-term added duties and responsibilities.

It sounds to me as if your area is being reorganized and that your job function has changed. You will need to sit down and re-evaluate what your job requirements are in light of the changes that have been made - what is the added scope and responsibility and what does it translate to in terms of the companies bottom line (it may even be what it will do to the company's bottom line if the work is not performed).

At the best, you can make a case for a new position to be created - encompasing the new and old duties at a higher job level and greater pay and staff members to help with the workload.

At the very least you should be able to negotiate some staff members who work for you to assist in handling the workload (and if they tell you it's not in the budget, it can often be filled by contract employees or temps until the next budget cycle).

You are taking a step in the right direction when you look at the "savings" the company has employed by doing away with 2 positions (remember it's not just salary but also benefits which can be up to 30% of the salary). You can use these figures to help justify an added increase in your level/pay or hiring of someone to work for you - after all that overhead was already figured into this year's budget and will still cost them less than keeping the two they had on board.

Why should they do it if you are already doing it for "free"? Good question. They won't and you shouldn't. This constitutes a change in the job position/requirements that you agreed to and negotiated on when hired. Forget about any issues of worthiness ("gee they must respect me, they are giving me a chance to increase my responsibilities" or "If I tell them no then maybe they will not want me anymore")- the very fact that they are having you do the work means that they have accepted that you are capable and "worthy". You must be paid for your efforts though.

They may balk at the idea at first, but prepare your case with facts to back it up. make an appointment with your boss to discuss it and act in an objective, impassionate manner. Do not let the conversation degenerate into one of personal worth and opportuntiy for experience and growth. Guide it back into the realm of this is what the work now is and now we have to figure out how this will graded/paid and if we have the resources allocated to perform it in a timely and adequate manner.

You may start with something like - "After the reorganization the scope and responsibilities of the function/area as well as the position have changed. I think that it's appropriate now to discuss how the NEW position is ranked and consider whether or not we need additional staff members to handle the workload. Here are some figures/analysis I've prepared...... By doing XXXXXX the department objectives will be met and the company will still realize a savings of Y."

Good luck - never sell yourself cheap. Taking action to address the situation is in your ballcourt and really is not out of line. If you do not address it they will think that you are comfortable with the situation and things will not change (afterall they are getting extra savings!)

Copyright 1996-2022 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us