The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Foreign Marriage Date:  1/14/1999  9:03 AM
Author:  UnwiseNotFool Number:  8380 of 131788

You can (if you wish) file a joint return. Check the publication 519, page 9. It says that if you are married at the end of the year and one of the spouses is a resident alien (I assume you are a citizen), you can CHOOSE to file as married filing jointly buy attaching a statement of that to your return. But remember, then you are both taxed on the worldwide income, which includes everething your husband made in the Bahamas. As far as his child, you have to follow the same support rules to qualify him/her as a dependent that described in an MF Taxes F.A.Q. area, with one caveat. Even if you can document childs qualifications as a dependent, you will need to get him a Social security number, and it is impossible if he is not in the country. So my guess is, you will have a very hard time establishing basis for a dependent child, but even then you will have immigration issues regarding his status.

Congratulations on your marrige, and good lack with INS! You will need it. IRS will look so much better after you compare it with immigration service.
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us