The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/brettjones-sez-ltlttx-but-i-was-under-the-10545796.aspx

Subject:  Re: 401K Rollover Date:  1/24/1999  2:53 PM
Author:  TMFPixy Number:  8077 of 103189

BrettJones sez:

<<Tx. But I was under the assumption that an IRA as the target of my 401K would be limiting as to the amount I could invest.>>

As far as annual contributions, yes. Those are limited to $2K per year maximum. There is no limit on the amount you may transfer from a qualified retirement plan like a 401k.

<< I am early 30s and the 401K was doing great. I was planning on doing a ROTH and then depositing approx. 10-15K a yr. via my employers SARSEP. My concern is losing the cumulative affect of my money by starting over in the SARSEP.>>

Nothing says you still can't do all of that. You may leave the 401k money where it is or you may transfer the 401k money into the SARSEP if you wish. Just understand that when you do the latter, then you can no longer transfer any of that 401k money to a new employer's qualified retirement plan in the future.

Regards….Pixy

Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us