The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Stocks E / Excite@Home

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/what-id-like-to-know-is-what-effect-todays-fcc-10561582.aspx

Subject:  Re: Municiple Regulation Date:  1/29/1999  9:17 PM
Author:  Scollag Number:  3920 of 55215

What I'd like to know is what effect today's FCC ruling has on these local Franchise deals.

My initial thought was that there was no effect whatsoever, but this is a purely procedural interpretation. In fact, the FCC has declined to fight Seattle's battle for them.

Seattle and Portland now seem to have gone a long way out on a limb by attacking TCI so aggressively. Whatever happens next, they will have to live with the consequences.

It seems that only a handful of local politicians are standing in the way of the transfer of their own franchises. The merger will happen, regardless of whether Portland and Seattle see the benefits.

Councilwoman Podlowski, do you feel lucky?

BTW, MS has been using DSL for some time now on their VPN. They have seen the advantages of broadband.

I am still trying to work out the significance of Paul Allen's move. I believe he is something of a Seattlephile and philanthropist, so could potentially be influential. If he is dealing with TCI, perhaps this could help sway our favourite councilwoman?

Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us