The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Stocks E / Excite@Home

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/my-initial-concern-was-that-t-thru-absorbing-10569447.aspx

Subject:  Re: ATT&T/TWX/ATHM sort out Date:  2/2/1999  10:08 AM
Author:  Scollag Number:  4077 of 55215

My initial concern was that T (thru absorbing TCOMA and thus effective voting control of ATHM) would prevent ATHM from venturing into telephony--a natural extension of its cable entre. Also, that T's dumping its none-too-successful Worldnet on ATHM would likewise be of no advantage to ATHM.

Jack,
In business development terms, ATHM has never possessed what I would call an entree. The entree service is the one that provides the conduit. Cable TV has a phenomenally high penetration, and it is this success that both AT&T (for telephony) and ATHM (for cable access) intend to leverage for their own services.

At the risk of tedious repetition, AT&T's potential market for CLEC service is twice the size of ATHM's.

As for Worldnet, I think we should look on the proposed sale as an exercise to focus on core competencies. The revenue stream, and demand stimulation, help ATHM.
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us