The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/everything-pixy-says-is-true-i-write-only-to-10581812.aspx

Subject:  Re: divorce settlement Date:  2/6/1999  11:05 PM
Author:  UUinMN Number:  8383 of 105350

Everything Pixy says is true. I write only to address your desire to do something in a hurry. (I suspect it would take months to follow all of Pixy's advice, even if you weren't rearranging the rest of your life at the same time.)

Since you have a 30-year time horizon, you can reasonably put your money into a stock market index mutual fund. Vanguard's 500 Index Fund, for instance. There are no fees to get in or out of this fund, and the overhead is extremely low, about 0.2% a year. The fund is volatile, as is the stock market, but over the long term, returns should be good. Just be reasonably sure that money you invest is money you won't need for more than a few years. That way you'll be able to ride out market dips, and make a long-term profit.

Then, when you get around to Pixy's reading list, you will find that index funds are one of the Foolish Steps. You may someday get beyond, or you may not.

Live long and prosper!

Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us