The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing Books / Rule Breakers, Rule Makers

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/sorry-for-the-long-post-what-do-you-guys-10593777.aspx

Subject:  Re: Comments on Motley Fool Date:  2/11/1999  6:29 PM
Author:  Kerd Number:  96 of 265

Sorry for the long post -- what do you guys think???

I agree with the author's basic premise, that the book's message--reduced to its simplest form--is: "Here's how to justify your hunches". However, instead of being critical of the Gardner method, I find it useful. By focusing on the traits of Rule Makers/Rule Breakers, I can separate my logically based hunches from my emotional and/or irrational impulses. This has, more often than not, kept me from making foolish investing decisions.

Personally, I feel the guy's arguments are foolish (lower-case)...

I agree that the author is lower case foolish, in the sense that he refers on many quantitative measurements of the Wise as unfairly overlooked by the Fool. But I still believe in the Foolish philosophy, which in my mind stands for the principal that over the long term the market is efficient but the Wise make short term inefficiencies. The Foolish challenge is to figure out the Wise short term errors and profit from them.

-----Kerd
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us