The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  IRS said I couldn't Date:  2/17/1999  10:05 AM
Author:  pepsidoodle Number:  10422 of 129792

This ROTH IRA is driving me crazy!!!
I am single, contributed (not converted) $2,000 to a Roth IRA in 1998 which, in turn, had a 61.5% gain in 1998. My 1998 AGI was about $107K. I also have a 401K plan with my employer.
I called the IRS & asked them about "reconstructing" the entire amount into a regular non-deductible IRA and was told I couldn't do this because of my earnings & because I have a 401K plan with my company.
I'm at a total loss on how to handle this. Do I just rescue what I can & leave it in the Roth, using the phase out method? If so, what do I do with the $2K that was already taxed? What about the gain? If I have to sell the stock, will the gain need to be applied to 1998 taxes?
I hope someone can understand my confusion & help me through this mess. I'm not sure if I've even covered all the issues.

Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us