The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/well-i-am-being-presumptuous-here-i-am-presuming-10678943.aspx

Subject:  Re: Mom and Dad need income Date:  3/16/1999  2:10 PM
Author:  JABoa Number:  9177 of 105969

Well, I am being presumptuous here. I am presuming most of their income is coming from Social Security. Hm, that is 2 kinds of presumptuousness, one from being out of line, and the other for making an assumption that may be false.

Anyhow, what the Fool recommends for those people who do not have the time or the inclination to do the research to invest in specific securities, is just to stick the money in an index fund. A lot of people around here like Vanguard. Certainly, there is risk. If the market as a whole goes down, so will the index fund.

Utilities used to be super-safe investment decisions because they were regulated monopolies and always paid a big dividend. What with the advent of competition, that is no longer the case and I think you have to look at utilities the same way you would look at anything.

As I say, I am being presumptuous, but it seems to me that unless Mom & Dad feel they would keep the juices flowing by playing the market, the index fund is the way to go.
Copyright 1996-2022 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us