The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Defering Capital gains Date:  4/9/1999  11:16 PM
Author:  TMFTaxes Number:  14226 of 131093

[[Has anyone invested in Specialized Small Business Investment Companies
(SSBIC) or purchased Common Stock in an attempt to defer short term capital
gains? If yes, can you explain how I can benefit from using this method? ]]

If you are thinking that stocks on the major exchanges would qualify as SSBICs, you would be sadly mistaken. Most of these companies are small, startups...and you virtually have to know somebody that knows somebody to get in on the ground floor of a successful SSBIC.

You can read more about SSBICs in IRS Publication 550 at the IRS web site.

[[ How can I purchase Common Stock for Microsoft or AOL?]]

Through your brokerage account? I'm not trying to be a smart ass, but I guess I just don't understand your question. And, by the way, neither AOL nor Microsoft would qualify as an SSBIC.

TMF Taxes

Want to learn more about taxes and investing? Then we have a deal for you!! The Motley Fool Investment Tax Guide is now available through Fool Mart. Be the first one on your block to own this masterpiece. It'll help you with your 1998 taxes, and it's never to early to start planning for your 1999 taxes. So just click on this link ( to read more about this amazing collection of tax information. (Apologies for the shameless plug…but it is a pretty good book…if I do say so myself). In addition, if you would like to visit the Taxes FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) area, click on and you'll be right at the home page. Check it out. Finally, if you need to get to the IRS web site, click on to go directly there.

Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us