The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Folly in 50 States and the World / Folly in California

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/id-suggested-this-before-but-here-goes-ashoka-10774852.aspx

Subject:  Re: SoCal Dinner Date:  4/16/1999  2:08 AM
Author:  HarpFool Number:  701 of 12907

I'd suggested this before, but here goes.

Ashoka the Great in Artesia (the part of the city known as Little India). It's near the 605/91 interchange. The food is good (chicken, lamb, vegetarian). Not too noisy. And that area is kind neat to check out beforehand.

And someone had asked:

1. Round tables available?

Oops! They lose points here. It's rectangular tables in the middle and 4-person booths down one side. There is one larger booth in the front corner.

2. Noise level?

It's a family restaurant, no bar. (Though they do serve beer & wine(?)) If we go there, I'm pretty sure we'll be the source of most of the noise. So, yes, conversation is quite doable.

Quality-wise, I think it gets a 7. (Nawab in Santa Monica gets a 9, but it's much more expensive...) The worst I can say is that we've gotten samosas that were cold in the center and had to send them back to be heated some more.

Price-wise, it's definitely cheaper than Darya (but more expensive than In'n'Out). For example, if I get the Ashoka special (which includes a little Basmati rice and some naan) and have hot Indian tea as my beverage, I think it would be about $11.50 + tax/tip. Back when I was in a relationship, my SO's chicken tikka masala, naan, rice and tea would be a bit more, but she also took home lunch for the next day.

Ashoka The Great
18614 Pioneer Blvd
Artesia, CA 90701
(562) 809-4229

-- Tim

Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us