The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing Books / Rule Breakers, Rule Makers

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/ltlti-was-thinking-about-this-last-weekend-in-10876860.aspx

Subject:  Re: Cisco - Rule Maker AND Breaker? Date:  5/19/1999  12:04 PM
Author:  lou2 Number:  139 of 265

<<I was thinking about this last weekend in regard to Intel. They are certainly a Rule Maker by setting
the standard for desktop computing chip speed, but they continue to break their own "rule" every time
they develop a faster and better chip.>>

Yep, except for, in my opinion, in the future, when we talk about "speed" with regards to computers, we will be talking bandwith and fat pipes. The better all-around sure-thing is theKid..... CSCO is definitely making and breaking all sorts of rules out there.

Not that Intel's not a great investment opportunity (I don't have any now - but I used to - I sold and put it into CSCO and MSFT), but I see a problem with decreasing marginal utility to consumers upgrading chip speed time and time again. At some point, I think we'll reach a wall where chip speed won't matter anymore, as long as broadband access is cheap and readily available (and that is not far away at all - be it ASDL or cable access). I hope Intel had a back-up plan, then.... It won't be quite so easy for them to break the rules at that point, though your point is certainly accurate right now.

Ah, but this is all only my small opinion, anyway, yes? :-)

Best,
Lou
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us