The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: Help establishing account Date:  7/10/1999  11:44 AM
Author:  nasusseyah Number:  11892 of 103842

Just make sure that if the money was in some type of tax deferred account it is rolled over into an IRA or 40lK (etc. etc.) If you move the money into an account outside that realm, there are tax implications plus a 10% penalty. That is why the rollover IRA exists.
Be sure that you don't take possession of the money.
I have found it easier to deal with the company that is taking possession of the account, they can do the entire transfer for you.
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us