The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/hey-folks-i-didnt-mean-to-start-a-fight-here-11128238.aspx

Subject:  Re: Social Security Date:  8/6/1999  11:13 PM
Author:  FoolishProf Number:  12932 of 95736

Hey, folks. I didn't mean to start a fight here! The point I really wanted to make was not mentioned by other posters: my expected returns on Social Security are really not so bad after all, not nearly so bad as "rumor" would have it.

I, along with others in my circles, seem to automatically "bad mouth" the Social Security system. Certainly it's not going to return for me the gains I'll get from my Vanguard 500 Index Fund 403b(7) or my after-tax equities or even my Lincoln National G&I fund. But, the risk involved has not been so great either for a 6% to 8% expected return. It's also a bit of income insurance for my widow should I die first, as has been noted. Since she has been a homemaker and mother with very little paid into the system, I really like this feature.

P.S. I'm glad we got this suvivor-benefit thing out in the open. Obviously there were some misconceptions.

FoolishProf
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us