The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/if-youre-fed-up-with-social-security-taxes-11142239.aspx

Subject:  Re: Social Security Date:  8/11/1999  8:23 PM
Author:  rustedSoul Number:  13091 of 95587

If you're fed up with Social Security taxes, there's a solution. Stop working and retire early.

I agree. I started 3 years ago to aggressively work towards this goal. I have been pleasantly surprised how much success I have had so far. I probably need another year of saving and investing, although I could probably quit right now.

There is one side effect that results from doing this though. It demonstrates the insidious incentives of the Social Security system:

A workers benefits are based upon lifetime earnings. A worker with low lifetime earnings (which would be the case for a person retiring very early) will likely get a good benefit because the system's progressive benefit scheme will judge you to be most needy! Oddly enough, this worker will be the MOST likely to get anything out of this system when retirement comes since the government won't cut the benefits of those deemed "needy".

So, it pays to invest aggressively and retire early. You are increasing your chances of getting a Social Security benefit. intercst, don't you feel guilty that you have already "beaten" this system at the expense of those continuing to work? ;)

rustedSoul
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us