The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/rustedsoul-asks-so-it-pays-to-invest-11142324.aspx

Subject:  Re: Social Security Date:  8/11/1999  8:49 PM
Author:  intercst Number:  13092 of 94552

rustedsoul asks,

So, it pays to invest aggressively and retire early. You are increasing your chances of getting a Social Security benefit. intercst, don't you feel guilty that you have already "beaten" this system at the expense of those continuing to work? ;)

rustedsoul,

It's a tough, nasty business, but someone has to step forward as an example to others. <vbg>

On a more serious note, I suspect that when I'm ready to collect in 2018 or so there will be some form of "means test", so I may get nothing at all. Of course, I am benefiting from from the fact that in the meantime, as long as I avoid wage and salary income, I don't pay any FICA.

You correctly, and astutely, point out that someone who manages to remove themselves from the workforce at a young age will likely collect a larger percentage of his contributions than an individual who works like a dog until age 65. Yet another cruel irony of the system.

intercst
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us