The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Fool Community Help Desk / Ask A Foolish Question


Subject:  Re: Rolling 401K into stocks Date:  8/11/1999  9:13 PM
Author:  TMFBalder Number:  58670 of 280797

<< I need some help! My wife and I both have money in Mutual funds from previous employers. (Hers is actually rolled over into a "Select Annuity" and mine is in "Fidelity Contra Fund" and "Fidelity Asset Manager" and "Fidelity Index Fund")>
My Question is... A)Can I (or more importantly should I) open a discount brokerage account and buy stocks? B)Can I combine my wife's with mine when I do so?!
I'd really appreciate any comments or help regarding this matter.
Thank You! >>

Hello Slow Hand and a Foolish Welcome To You!

If these are indeed 401k plans you are going to have to consult with the plan adminstrator to see what your options really are. A Rollover IRA as another reader suggested may indeed be the best option.

With respect to the "Select Annuity", get out the contract and become familiar with it and the contract options first. Also check performance and surrender fees. Check performance based on what your wife has actually paid in and not the internal performance that insurance companies usually put out.

There are a lot of variables here so a good Financial Professional may be helpful. In any event consider reposting (and perhaps rewriting a bit first) to our Retirment Board. Remember too that TMF has a whole section on the various aspects of retirement. Here are the links.

Foolish Best Wishes!
Peter Lincoln

Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us