The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/gt-the-annual-return-of-14-is-guaranteed-for-5-11177071.aspx

Subject:  Re: ETS PAYPHONES Date:  8/21/1999  2:38 AM
Author:  DowDanny Number:  13315 of 99740

> The annual return of 14% is guaranteed for 5 years also. <

I have NO IDEA at all about this investment, but I have a word of advice. Check out, in great detail,what exactly is meant by "guarenteed 14% return"

I find such wording extremely suspicious. Does the "14% return" that you receive include 'return of capital' - in other words, does the guarenteed 'dividend' actually have some chance to include pay back of your principle instead of true "net gain" ?

I ask because there are some 'income oriented' closed-end mutual funds that pay fixed "dividends" -but if the real income and net gains on the fund's investments don't meet the needs, then the fund merely makes up the difference by 'returning your capital' - paying back some principle. Awfully messy, tax wise, and not quite the same as a guarenteed "14% return".

OTOH, if there were some way to enforce the guarentee, then 14%/year for 5 years would more-or-less return your initial investment to you.

We are going to request copies of their financial reports

Can't think of a better place to start than there.

Don't turn over any money to anybody until you know all of the details, risks and contingencies.

Cheers -

- D

Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us