The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: Resignation Date:  8/21/1999  9:37 AM
Author:  TMFPixy Number:  13318 of 99732

Greetings, Lovey64, and welcome. You wrote:

<<I am in the process of leaving a government job for private industry. I do not want to leave my retirement ($20,000+) with the state because there is very little growth. What/How should I convert these funds to better my financial standing at retirement. I'm 35. >>

If you have a qualified retirement plan, most likely you may take your vested interest and transfer it to an IRA. Your benefits administrator will tell you what your options are on your termination of employment. If you can transfer the money, then you may transfer it to what's called a self-directed IRA at a broker of your choice. That would enable you to invest the money yourself in whatever vehicle you choose.

Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us