The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: Loss of Home in Retirement Date:  8/25/1999  8:54 PM
Author:  JABoa Number:  13461 of 100420

The phrase you need to know about is "tenants in common". According to my real estate book, each co-owner has a certain percentage of the property, typically 50% if there are 2 co-owners. But it isn't the case that one person owns the living room and the other the dining room: the ownership is commingled. When one co-owner dies or whatever, the percentage is conveyed to her heirs. The other co-owner's interest is unaffected.

As you can imagine, there are significant tax issues relevant to mortgage deductions and paying the property tax.

I'm not a lawyer or a CPA, and I don't even play one on TV, but that's where I'd start when asking questions of a lawyer who really does know something. If it costs you a couple of thousand dollars to get competent advice and have correct documents drawn up, it seems to me that is a modest price.
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us