The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: Deferred Comp Date:  8/26/1999  9:12 AM
Author:  TMFPixy Number:  13482 of 102434

Greetings, Aljanbeach, and welcome. You wrote:

<<I was able to roll my deferred comp. over to an IRA. I am now considering whether to convert that to a Roth IRA. I believe my long-term tax savings will substantially support the move.>>

I sincerely doubt you were able to transfer the proceeds of a deferred compensation (i.e., 457) plan to an IRA. Such plans are nonqualified and totally ineligible for such treatment. Are you sure you aren't confusing a defined contribution plan (401k, 403b, profit sharing) with a deferred compensation plan? They aren't the same thing in that the former are qualified plans and may be transferred to an IRA.

Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us