The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/ira-investing-questions-11201232.aspx

Subject:  IRA investing questions Date:  8/27/1999  11:41 PM
Author:  mangaboy Number:  13519 of 100373

Hello,

This is my first post. I have always been a Fool but I am only now awakening to the fact. All those years of people pointing and saying fool, fool and I never knew what compliments they were giving me. Well, now for my question. I have a 401k that I need to rollover. Just for starters, till I git me some mur educatin, I was thinkig of investing most of the rollover using the Foolish Four approach and putting the rest of the rollover into an index fund. From what I have been reading on this site, it sounds like once I set up an IRA account with a broker I can then take the money I have and split it among different stocks and/or mutual funds as I please. Is that right? Also it sounds like the commissions you pay to purchase any stocks or funds are considered to be a part of your total $2000 per year contribution limit. Thats kinda cruddy if that is true. If anyone could confirm my suspicions I would appreciate it greatly.

Thanks,

the Semiconcious Fool
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us