The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  After Retirment, choices change... Date:  8/31/1999  9:03 AM
Author:  BGPenhollo Number:  13551 of 100164

I apologize if this is being posted in the wrong board. If so, please point me to a more appropriate board.

My mother,73, has recently asked for my help with her investments. Initial review indicates that she should shed her Govt (Tax exempt) Mutual Funds - Her tax rate is (I think)18%. It's above the minimum but not the 28% bracket. She holds a 5 star Short Term bond fund which looks like a good candidate to move to. Is moving from Govt Mutual Funds to Short Term more appropriate for her retirement.

The area I need some advice is she was sold (I prefer to believe scammed) into rolling over her IRA into a Franklin Variable Annuity. I believe she should be invested elsewhere. She is beyond the 5 year
surrender fee but how does she roll this back into a mutual fund and keep it under the IRA umbrella or at her age should she keep the IRA at all. If she keeps the money invested in an IRA acct, how do we calculate her yearly minimum withdrawal now that she's over 70 1/2?

Isn't putting a VA in an IRA much like buying Tax Free Bonds for an IRA. Is there any place to report agents who sell inappropriate investment products?
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us