The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: May Stocks Be Contributed Directly Into an I Date:  8/31/1999  1:43 PM
Author:  Cicero007a Number:  13562 of 104807

You are the second person to state the answer "NO" to this type of question without quoting your source. As a retired Research Scientist, I used to make my living by questioning all opinions unsupported by data -- so -- what is the IRS publication that forbids this ?

Sorry if I seem rude, but all that I seek is the truth.

P.S. -- I disagree with your argument that this is a stupid thing to do. If one wishes to contribute to an IRA, one contributes say $2000 in cash. The question is can $2000 worth of appreciated securities be contributed instead. If this is permissable, one would never have to pay the capitol gains on the appreciation. It is similiar to contributing appreciated stock to a charity and taking a deduction for the total value.
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us