The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/greetings-jeffrnahar-and-welcome-you-asked-11235965.aspx

Subject:  Re: Rollover/Transfer?? Date:  9/8/1999  2:13 PM
Author:  TMFPixy Number:  13800 of 102767

Greetings, Jeffrnahar, and welcome. You asked:

<<I am about to buy a business and want to use my IRA funds to do so however I can not borrow against them from schwab where they are resident.Is there a way for me to use the funds without paying a penalty?>>

No, there is no way you may use your IRA funds as collateral for a loan. Such use is expressly prohibited by law.

<<Perhaps I can transfer the funds to another account and then borrow against it or could the business itself be a qualified plan ?>>

No, there is no way you can do either. Again, using the funds as collateral is against the law. Investing in your own business within the IRA or a qualified retirement plan is also against the law. That's considered a prohibited transaction.

The only way you may use these funds in the purchase is to take the money from the IRA, pay the income taxes due and pay a 10% early withdrawal penalty on top of that if you're younger than age 59 1/2.

Regards..Pixy
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us