The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  How to invest parents' money Date:  9/9/1999  12:03 PM
Author:  NoelXX Number:  13811 of 103247

Hello,Pixy: Regarding your response to Billybeau's query. My father has a fully-funded IRA and he hopes it will survive him for his children to inherit, but he also has to consider it his "safety net". He's been real upfront about this. Are you suggesting that he turn the entire IRA into assets in some other type of investment? I understand that his taxes are less at his age on his required yearly withdrawals, but that for his heirs, taxes on other types of investments would be at ordinary rates. However, if he
has over 100K, would it still be to his long-term advantage to lose such a large amount all at once to taxes, and isn't it the same thing as rolling over into a Roth IRA? And if so, isn't that better ? Or can someone who no longer contributes to his IRA own a Roth? By the way, what's an RP4? Thanks a lot.
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us