The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: IRA's Date:  9/12/1999  10:40 AM
Author:  TMFPixy Number:  13860 of 105957

Greetings, Rgbbcs, and welcome. You asked:

<<I have an IRA in a non-producing mutual fund. I would like to move the money to an OLB and buy stocks. How do I affect this? Do I transfer the mutual fund to the OLB account, then sell it? Do I call the mutual fund company and tell them I want to get out of their fund? >>

If you transfer the fund (assuming the broker will let you do so), many brokers will then assess a commission for cashing in the fund shares. That could be on top of whatever charges the fund might make. Generally, it's easier and cheaper to have the fund cash in the shares and send the money to the broker. The broker will have a form that instucts the fund to do just that. Ask, and the broker can help you out in that regard.

Copyright 1996-2022 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us