The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Automotive / Buying and Maintaining a Car

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/when-i-first-started-in-this-crazy-business-i-was-11381909.aspx

Subject:  Re: Buying a Car---Salesman View Date:  10/16/1999  10:06 PM
Author:  usedcarfool Number:  3232 of 73826

When I first started in this crazy business, I was at a Dealership that had a so called selling "system". It is a complete waste of time for the salesperson and the customer. Everytime I went into the selling (system)rant, the customer would just roll his/her eyes. These systems do not work. Now that I am the owner of my own small dealership I have only one selling system. Its called, back off and let the custoomer look. Give them breathing room. Let them speak amongst themselves,(if its a couple). After a few minutes go out and ask them if you can help them and go from there. I refuse to play any games. If they make any kind of reasonable offer, I simply ask them if they will stick to it and leave a deposit today on the car. Beware people....if you make an offer and the dealer accepts it, Don't try to back out. Then he knows you are jerkin his chain, and other dealers as well and his/her entire attitude shifts.
But basically it comes down to just cutting out the systems, and getting on with real conversation. I realize that everyone out there is looking for a great deal. And everyone deserves some kind of discount on a car. Its a big purchase and you have to happy with your deal. SO if you ask the dealer "will you accept 3-4% profit on this car?" Don't be surprised if he says yes. you may end up signing a buyers order the next minute. Good luck to all.
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us