The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/i-have-been-in-deferred-compensation-for-ten-11392732.aspx

Subject:  Re: Deferred Compensation Date:  10/19/1999  7:48 PM
Author:  SCullum Number:  14664 of 105397

I have been in deferred compensation for ten years. Your question is complicated but I will try to answer in brief. The amount that you can defer is no more than 8000 per year or 33 1/3 % of includible compensation which ever is less. 401K ,403b and SEP plans count twards those limits. The longer the time horizon you have choose more agressive options. The shorter choose a mix of agressive and conservative options. In my opinion 5 years or longer is a long time horizon. Look at the funds long range and intermediate returns and the internal cost of the fund, even in the same deferred comp. plan some funds are cheaper than others. A good plan can offer 50 or more choices.
Choose a mix to balance out your risk. There are many books that can help there. Be patience the market is volatile , time is needed to make money.
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us