The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing Education / Terms, Definitions, & Jargon

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/ltltsearching-the-pe-for-royald-dutch-petrol-11467689.aspx

Subject:  Re: P/E Date:  11/4/1999  11:06 AM
Author:  TMFSelena Number:  406 of 2244

<<Searching the P/E for Royald Dutch Petrol I found under Quotes/Data, detailed: P/E = 30. However, under Quotes/Data, snapshot I see a P/E of 272.44. Why do two different figures appear, please? How are they computed?

By the way, under snapshot there several abbreviations, such as Price/Earnings (TTM) or Price/book (MRQ). What does TTM and MRQ stand for?>>

No need to apologize, Franz! You're asking some good questions!

TTM = trailing twelve months. It's a better way of saying "in the last year." Imagine that we're now in the 3rd quarter of a company's year. Trailing twelve months means the last 4 reported quarters, even though they straddle two fiscal years.

MRQ = I'm guessing, but it must be "most recent quarter."

Why are the P/Es different? I suspect it's because we use different data providers for the two items (snapshot vs. quotes) and each provider might use different data. For example, you can calculate a P/E based on the current estimated earnings for the current year. Or on the trailing twelve months of earnings. P/E is simply price in relation to earnings -- but WHICH earnings? :) There are choices there, so several different possibilities. Also, even if they use the same numbers, perhaps a company just reported new numbers and one provider has incorporated them and the other hasn't got to it yet, but will tomorrow. Another possibility.

Selena
Copyright 1996-2022 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us