The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

International Investing / Australia (All-Ordinaries)


Subject:  Re: U.S - capital gains tax for aliens Date:  11/18/1999  1:49 PM
Author:  Lems Number:  940 of 6186

This is how I understand it, correct me if I'm wrong:

As long as you keep the money overseas you don't pay any taxes, if you filed the W8 and 1001. It is up to you to declare the profit when you transfer the cash back home. I did get an inquiry from the tax office (in NZ) when I made the transfer to the US, so they are keeping track of internation transfers.
Copyright 1996-2022 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us