The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: Cash Balance rollover Date:  12/18/1999  10:11 AM
Author:  TMFPixy Number:  16548 of 90150

Greetings, Larsips, and welcome. You wrote:

<<I recently took my retirement in a cash balance and rolled it into a conventional IRA. If I had rolled it into a Roth IRA instead, would I have had to pay taxes on the amount. If not,would there be any way to reverse this blunder? I understand that I would have to pay taxes on the amount if I simply converted my conventional IRA to a Roth. >>

You made no blunder because you cannot transfer retirement plan money directly to a Roth IRA anyway. By law, that's not allowed. A Roth may accept rollover money only from another Roth IRA or from a traditional IRA. If the money comes from the latter, then all previoulsly untaxed money in that traditional IRA will be taxed on its conversion to a Roth IRA.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us