The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/thebadger-said-for-the-last-three-years-i-have-11691676.aspx

Subject:  Re: How many stocks per investment? Date:  12/21/1999  3:11 PM
Author:  39dopey Number:  16716 of 90146

TheBadger said:

For the last three years I have been able to double the S&P500 with this strategy;
however, I do not beleive I can continue this track record indefinitely into the future.

May I ask what stocks you currently hold and how you chose them? I've generally settled on about ten stocks, not because I thought that was enough, but because I have five young kids and insufficient time to find more great investments. So far I've averaged a 60% return per year, with generally one real dog, a couple of okay stocks, and the rest quite impressive - probably a combination of luck and buying what I know. Currently I hold INTC, DELL, CSCO, KO (purchased two months ago at $48 through exceptional luck), XOM, DIS (purchased near last year's high), AMGN, HD, and WMT. I sold COMS shortly before it recovered, but bought into another stock that did almost as well. I'd like to add a few new stocks, but when I've had time to research them the ones I've considered haven't looked better than what I currently hold. It would be helpful to have another perspective and list of stocks for consideration if you're willing to share.
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us