The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/im-just-not-sure-how-that-works-my-monthly-11717495.aspx

Subject:  Re: How does it really work? Date:  12/28/1999  2:34 PM
Author:  SpaceEngineer Number:  22659 of 312535

...I'm just not sure how that works. My monthly bill says I have a periodic rate of .05425% and a corresponding APR of 19.80%.......what does this mean!?!

Please reply ASAP. I appreciate your help.

One other tip in addition to the good advice that you've already received - you don't have to wait until your next bill to send another payment. If you can't pay it all by the next due date, send in the rest as soon as you can. For example, if you're paid biweekly, send in what you can in another two weeks with a short letter giving the account number and asking that they apply it to your account. Since interest is calculated daily, the sooner you'll pay, the sooner you stop the interest charges.

And another thing - when you pay off the final amount, add maybe another 2%. This covers the interest that had accrued since your last bill. You might end up with a small positive balance, but it will stop you from bleeding interest.

John

Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us