The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Computers, Phones & Internet / Wireless World

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/well-only-time-will-tell-but-i-would-never-bet-11724775.aspx

Subject:  Re: GSM vs. CDMA -- informative post Date:  12/29/1999  8:03 PM
Author:  geoffchase Number:  1641 of 4031

Well,

only time will tell, but, I would never bet on one thing (among others). That one thing?? That an analyst understands the technology of the company they are analyzing.

There is a lot more to selling tech than having the best tech, or APPL would dominate now, not MSFT, we'd watch beta not VHS, we'd all drive porsche 969's rather than chevy/toyota/etc's, and we'd all post from high speed connections at home rather than from modems or at work.

This is also, IMO, what keeps it all interesting. Certainly GSM and its followup variants have the lead in implementation. CDMA is better (only marginally and only for data transfer as I understand), but, is it a disruptive technology??? Power requirements will also play into what wins, since data transfer rates require power as well, as I understand it all.

I think analysts sometimes like to oversimplify things a bit too much. Winners are rarely ever that clear and having a proprietary lock on technology is often not well regarded by the rest of the world. The winning technologies will let you go anywhere and do anything in the wireless space..

Not to say I might not get some QCOM _and_ some NOK in that dip we've all been waiting for since thanksgiving ;^)

Just some random thoughts from someone (or yet another?) who mycroft has got doing some DD on SNRA et al...

cheers,

jgc

Copyright 1996-2022 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us