The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools


Subject:  Spousal IRA Date:  1/25/2000  7:15 PM
Author:  ParyPing Number:  1751 of 22186

I have researched this question, web site after web site. I can't find the answer, so I just thought I'd ask.

My wife does not have earned income. She has an IRA from a qualified 401k roll over. We have no intent to ever roll it back to another qualified plan so I am not worried about keeping it's qualified status.

I want to contribute $2,000 to her IRA without having to set up a new IRA account. The fool site on IRA's list ten types of IRA's, Spousal IRA is one of them. We qualify for that type of an IRA for her contribution.

My question is, can I contribute her spousal $2,000 to her existing qualified IRA rollover account instead of having to set up an specific spousal IRA account? I really do not want another investment account to track if I can avoid it.
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us