The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/ltour-401k-is-with-new-england-funds-and-many-of-11874323.aspx

Subject:  Re: 401K Date:  1/26/2000  12:48 PM
Author:  gurdison Number:  1767 of 22171

<Our 401K is with New England Funds and many of our funds appear to be index funds with low operating expenses in the area of .60% to 1.2%. I have been informed that there is a 4% sales commission that will be paid to our New England sales rep. It was described as a one time back load>

<Those are not low operating expenses. There are lots of index funds that have expense ratios less than 0.25%. Vanguard, the all time leader in index funds, has an expense ratio of 0.18% on its flagship fund VFINX...YUK! Back loads on a 401k? That's highway robbery>

I totally agree with GW. I have two parallel thoughts on these types of situations. The first is a shared anger at those doing the legalized robbery. The second is for those who are putting their hard earned money into the funds but are too lazy to do their homework. If you think that 1.2% annual expenses for an index fund are low and that a 4% back end load is okay, you almost deserve to get ripped off.

BRG

Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us