The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/i-have-been-informed-that-there-is-a-4-sales-11874470.aspx

Subject:  Re: 401K Date:  1/26/2000  1:12 PM
Author:  phooley Number:  1768 of 22193

I have been informed that there is a 4% sales commission that will be paid to our New England sales rep. It was described as a one time back load.

This sounds like a "Contingent Deferred Sales Charge" -- it should decrease with time, going to zero after possibly 5 or 6 years.

Better check the information -- prospectus? -- you were given, and make sure you understand it.

I looked at the New England Funds web site, and don't see any index funds. I agree with the two previous posts, that the expense ratios you quoted sound too high for index funds.

When my employer had a 401(k) with Fidelity, we paid no sales charges of any type, because Fidelity was glad to have the (very large) account. Small employers cannot so easily avoid at least CDSCs. I do think you're better off than many, who end up with variable annuties.

Better read your materials, and be sure you know what you're investing in! It is a good idea to ask about more economical plans, but don't automatically assume someone is dishonest or incompetent. There are economies of scale that not every employer can take advantage of.

Good luck!
Phooley
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us