The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: IRA transfer by name change Date:  1/29/2000  10:26 AM
Author:  TMFPixy Number:  18412 of 100450

Greetings, JamieScott, and welcome. You asked:

<<Can I transfer my IRA to my spouse by changing the name on the account without getting a QDRO >>

No, you cannot. That would be a gift which would be considered as a taxable distribution to you. Additionally, it would be considered as an annual contribution to an IRA by your spouse, and that is subject to the earned income and $2K limitation.

Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us