The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: 403b to IRA Date:  1/31/2000  9:36 PM
Author:  ROBBDOE Number:  18541 of 90123

You need to transfer the 403b to a rollover IRA and then convert it to a Roth IRA. You can't go directly to a Roth. You will have to pay the taxes on the conversion amount(from rollover to Roth).They want you to have seperate accounts so you don't co-mingle after tax money with pre tax money. All contributions to the Roth are made with after tax dollars and all contributions made to the rollover IRA were made with pre tax dollars. If you co-mingle the funds you will not be able to transfer the rollover into another company sponsored plan down the road.
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us