The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: converting tsa's to securities? Date:  2/1/2000  3:34 PM
Author:  TMFPixy Number:  18569 of 105920

Greetings, judicleghorn, and welcome. You wrote:

<<We are both educators who have for years been socking away funds in tax sheltered annuities. With recent options of subaccounts, we have been able to choose more aggressive mutual funds, so the accounts have grown well. After reading the Fool's detailed description of annuities, however, I realize that it would be a better option to convert that money into securities. Is there a way to roll over even some of the money without taking a full tax hit? We're 53 now, and hoping to retire in two years. (We can't take the tsa's out until 59 1/2.) >>

I assume you're still working at the job that allows the 403b contributions. If so, you cannot move those funds to a self-directed IRA within which you may trade in individual securities. You must wait until you leave that job to do so.

Copyright 1996-2022 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us