The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

International Investing / Australia (All-Ordinaries)

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/i-get-somewhat-tired-of-people-who-talk-down-11973737.aspx

Subject:  Re: NOVOGEN Date:  2/12/2000  12:43 AM
Author:  djkellyoz Number:  1101 of 6186

I get somewhat tired of people who talk down alternatives to conventional medicine due to a lack of evidence.
Not to say that there are not ineffective products that are marketed - there are.
But many times when people claim that there is no research they have not looked at what is available. They rely on the medical establishment to tell them.
The medical establishment is influenced strongly by the companies that provide products and research funds.
Often companies that are involved in natural remedy approaches cannot afford the costs involved in high quality research.
As an example I know that pharmaceutical companies are looking for powerful sun screen ingredients. I also know that a very effective 50+ sunscreen was discovered in sea coral. The problem is that there is no way to protect the product by patent. Therefore that product will never be released to the market.
Some thoughts in relation to Novogen.
1. People always buy what the like. They like what provides them with a perceived benefit. In the long run if they don't benefit they stop buying.
2. Marketing is a powerful way to effect perceived benefit. Maybe this relates to the smokescreen.
3. Can they protect their products from competition.
4. Antagonism from competitive medical and pharmaceutical companies and their influence on the medical profession shoul never be under estimated.

Copyright 1996-2022 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us