The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Learning to Invest / Terms, Definitions, & Jargon

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/stock-splits-11983801.aspx

Subject:  Stock Splits Date:  2/14/2000  2:46 PM
Author:  Stradivarius Number:  537 of 2244

I just wanted to pass on some information to help others avoid making the same mistake that I did. I recently bought one share of Yahoo before its recent split. I thought that splits were given to any shareholder of record the day prior to the split. However, if appears that some companies, one of which was Yahoo, have a date of record (just like dividend dates of record) for splits. This means that you have to own the stock "X" date prior to the split (2-4 weeks prior?) in order to receive the split. Otherwise you are left out in the cold. I thought that I had an adequate understanding of the split from reading a press release on it. However, there was no mention of a date of record in the press release. My advise is that anyone considering purchasing a stock scheduled to split visit that company's investor relations section on the company's web site to see if there is a date of record.
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us