The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Another Charitable Donations??? Date:  2/15/2000  2:53 AM
Author:  pmarti Number:  28716 of 128043

<< I have all my bank statements from last year. So, I calculated all the money I gave to churches I attended and was planning to write that off. Can I do this write off just on the basis of those checks on bank statements? >>

1. You can deduct church contributions if you itemize deductions on Schedule A. (If you don't itemize on Federal but have a state income tax, check the instructions. Some may allow a deduction even if you don't itemize, but only for state purposes.)

2. If any single donation is $250 or more, you have to have a receipt from the recipient before you file your return.

3. You don't have to have cancelled checks. Your register and statements are sufficient, and if you HAD to have the checks, you could get them later.

Phil Marti
Tax Preparer
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us