The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/ltlt-i-am-filing-my-daughters-taxes-she-has-11993387.aspx

Subject:  Re: earned income credit Date:  2/16/2000  7:47 AM
Author:  pmarti Number:  28818 of 128124

<< I am filing my daughter's taxes, she has two children and made 20,000, one child is designated as her father's dependent even though he only pays 2000 per year support. Can she still file for EIC for both children?
Turbo Tax says no, since she is not an exemption on her mother's tax, is this correct?????
rules seem confusing. >>

Where the basics are concerned, it doesn't get much more confusing than the EIC, so don't feel bad.

A qualifying child for EIC need not be your dependent. If the child lived with you more than half the year, the child is your qualifying dependent unless there is someone else in the SAME household with a higher AGI who could also use that child as a qualifying child.

I suspect you answered one of the Turbo Tax questions incorrectly. If you can't figure out where it's going wrong, you'll have to override the EIC figure and force the child onto the Schedule EIC.

Phil Marti
Tax Preparer
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us